Lviv Historical Museum is one of the oldest and the richest museums in Ukraine, established in 1893.
The second date of its birth is considered to be 1940, when the Historical Museum of Lviv and the National Museum named after King Jan III in Lviv (established in 1908), situated next to each other were united into a single institution - Lviv Historical Museum (LHM). The collection of newly formed museum included separate collections of former Lviv museums, in particular Museum of the Princes Lubomirski, Museum of Shevchenko Scientific Society, Museum of Stauropegial Institute.
Today LHM collections number more than 330 thousand museum exhibits. These are archaeological materials, paintings, sculptures, drawings, archival documents, manuscripts, early printed books, metal, leather, wood, glass and porcelain, furniture, clocks, musical instruments, photographs and photo negatives, guns and the artifacts of Numismatics, Faleristics, Sigillography and others. Museum exhibits are the witnesses of the past; they retell the stories about important events in the history of our land, the way of life of Lviv and Galicia citizens from ancient times to the 20th century (the departments of Archeology and Ancient History, Rynok Sq., 24, Department of Western Ukraine History in the 2nd half of the 19th – 20th centuries, Rynok Sq., 4).
Exhibition of the Royal Halls in the Korniakt House, which used to be the residence of the King Jan III Sobieski in the 2nd half of the 17th century represents antique furniture, paintings, clocks; a separate set of the display is the coats of arms (department of Historical Treasures, Rynok Sq., 6).
At the Museum-Arsenal the one can see rare examples of weapons and protective arms of the 12th and the 20th centuries from across Europe, Asia and Africa (department of Museum-Arsenal, Pidvalna St., 5).
In 2005 the department of LHM “Museum of Historical Treasures” was opened (Rynok Sq., 2).
Stationary exhibition “Military and Historical Monuments” is devoted to the theme of Ukrainian people struggle for establishing an independent state (Rynok Sq., 4), organized by the department of liberation struggle.
Department of Ukrainian Diaspora History exhibits the items related to social and cultural life of Ukrainians in foreign countries (Rynok Sq., 4).
Lviv Historical Museum is not only the monuments of antiquity, but it is the very atmosphere of the past, kept by the museum buildings, the pearls of Renaissance architecture in Lviv. An inside court-yard of the Korniakt House is a unique one, the only court-yard in Eastern Europe (1580, Arch. Pietro Barbon). The Italian court-yard, as it is called by Lviv citizens, is surrounded on perimeter by opened arcades-loggias on all three floors. Museum parties, literary and artistic events or just a rest with a cup of coffee in the comfortable outdoor court-yard leaves pleasant memories for a long time.
In the only monument of secular Gothic preserved in Lviv, - Gothic Hall on the ground floor of the Korniakt House, there is the art salon “Gothic Hall” where you can buy antiques delivered to commission and works of modern fine or decorative and applied art.
In the lobbies of the museum (Rynok Sq., 6, 24) they sold different literature on regional studies, and museum publications, including annual collection “Scientific Notes” with publications of museum scholars on the history of the museum and its collections.
Besides the exhibitions mentioned above which are in the very center of Lviv, the Lviv Historical Museum has its departments outside city center.
The interior and the atmosphere of literary and artistic salon reproduces the museum “Literary Lviv of 1st half of 20th century”, which is the branch of the main museum (Gvardiyska St., 18).
Since independence, historical and memorial museums of UPA (Ukrainian Insurgent Army) General Cornet Roman Shukhevych (Bilohorshcha St., 76a) and Colonel Yevhen Konovalets (vallage of Zashkiv, Zhovkva region) were opened.
Every year the museum visit approx. 400 thousand people, Lviv residents and the visitors who are acquainted with its permanent displays and variable exhibitions, participate in various cultural events that are held at the museum.
Lviv Historical Museum is opened to cooperation with government and public cultural institutions and organizations. Yet, there is Lviv Society of Richard Wagner and Rotary Club “Lviv-Leopolis” working at the museum.
From 1978 until may 2016, the Museum was headed by Tchaikovsky Bogdan, honored worker of culture of Ukraine, member of Ukrainian National Committee of International Council of Museums (ICOM), Chairman of the Board of Directors of Museums of Lviv region, Deputy Chairman of the Association of museums and galleries Western region of Ukraine".
June 2, 2016 at a session of the Lviv regional Council, the new Director of the Lviv Historical Museum was appointed Vice-President of the Ukrainian national Committee ICOM, candidate of Sciences Chmelyk Roman.