Museum of General-Lieutenant of the UIA Roman Shukhevych
Museum of General-Lieutenant of the UIA Roman Shukhevych was founded with the help and financial support of the Association of Former Soldiers of the UIA of General-Lieutenant Taras Chuprynka in the USA. The museum was opened on October 23, 2001 at Lviv, 76a Bilohorshcha Street.
Museum of General-Lieutenant of the UIA Roman Shukhevych is a sector of the Ukrainian War of Independence section – administrator V. P Boyko, Lviv History Museum – director B. M. Tchaikovsky.
The Museum building has two floors. On the ground floor there is a thematic exhibition, the first floor includes a memorial exhibition. Exhibits, located on the ground floor, tell about the Shukhevych family, youth of Roman Shukhevych, his military and political activities and armed struggle of the Ukrainian liberation movement.
In the first hall there is a bust of Roman Shukhevych, created by famous Ukrainian sculptor Mykhailo Chereshniovsky (1911 – 1994), made by the artist in the U.S. in the 80s of the 20th century.
Later it was passed to the Association of Former Soldiers of the UIA in the USA, which donated the bust to the museum. Paintings by Myroslava Lasovska-Kruk (USA) – portrait of Roman Shukhevych and allegorical arrangement “Heroine of UIA”, also contribute to perpetuation of memory of Roman Shukhevych.
Separately is shown the history of Shukhevych family that promotes fuller disclosure of the figure of the Commander in Chief – a person who inherited the best features of Galician intellectuals: patriotism, education, spirituality and high inner culture. A gallery of prominent representatives of Shukhevych family, from which came a large cohort of political, cultural, civil and military figures, is featured here. Exposed book "Translation and imitation" (1883) with a foreword by Ivan Franko demonstrates translation and religious work of Roman’s grandfather Rev.
Yosyp Shukhevych (1816-1870), pastor of the village Tyshkivtsi, Horodenkivsky County.
Grandfather Volodymyr Shukhevych and grandmother Hermina had undeniable influence on the shaping of national consciousness of Roman Shukhevych. Volodymyr Shukhevych (1849-1915) left a great contribution as a scientist-ethnographer, teacher, public and political figure.
The museum exhibits the letters of composer M. Lysenko, writer B. Hrinchenko, ethnographer F. Vovk, which demonstrate positive feedback at the five-volume ethnographic work "Hutsulshchyna" written by V. Shukhevych.
Collection of photos depicts large Shukhevych family, representatives of which were consistent successors of traditions of struggle for the national idea, especially the eldest son of Volodymyr and Hermina – Yosyp (1879-1948), father of Roman Shukhevych. He took part in the Ukrainian-Polish War of 1918-1920, was a district political commissar WUPR, a judge in Krakovets, later – in Lviv.
School and student papers of Roman Shukhevych and autobiography, written by himself, are of interest to the visitors. Here are displayed the exhibits related to the Plast activities of Roman Shukhevych.
A set of documents in the exhibition covers the period of Roman Shukhevych, when he worked as military assistant of the Executive Board of the OUN in 1930 under the name “Bell”.
There are also displayed the materials on Roman Shukhevych’s participation in the struggle for Carpatho-Ukraine and his command of the Ukrainian Nationalists Brigade (UNB) Ukrainian Legion.
A separate room is dedicated to the birth of the UIA, its formation and the role of Roman Shukhevych in its activities. The section concludes with a set of materials on the heroic death of Roman Shukhevych on March 5, 1950.
Materials about the fate of Roman Shukhevych’s family, all the representatives of which suffered from the repressive and punitive system, constitute an important part of the exposition.
The first floor exposition (stairs, hide-out, living room) recreates the life during the stay of the UIA Commander in Chief at this underground apartment (spring 1948 – early 1950’s) and is the main memorial object of the museum, as the last battle of Roman Shukhevych with the division of MGB took place there on March 5, 1950. In the same room where Shukhevych lived and worked, are the original pieces – furniture set: table, four chairs and armchair, made in the mid 30's in Western Europe, which were presented to the museum by daughter of Roman Shukhevych, Mrs. Maria Trylovska.